July 23, 2009 at 10:21 AM 10 comments

It’s been over 12 hours, and I’m still shaken up. Béni almost died last night.

It was a normal evening – John and I were even trying to get to bed a little early, because we haven’t been getting enough sleep lately. I went to take Béni down to go to the bathroom before bed. It was about 9:30.

When we got down to the 1st floor, his good friend Yodel, a 6-7 month old Bernese Mountain Dog, was also heading out with his owner. They started playing immediately, so when we got outside, we both let them off their leashes so they could play for a bit before bed. A few minutes later, we noticed they were tangled and yelping.

We kneeled down and tried to get them separated. Yodel’s leg had gone down through Béni’s choke chain, which made the chain so tight around Béni’s neck that he couldn’t breathe. I tried to pull the chain off Yodel’s leg (it was just past his first leg joint), and it hurt him so much that he bit me. At this point, I ran to get Dave, Yodel’s “dad.” When we got back out there, Béni’s eyes were closed, he was unresponsive and was foaming at the mouth. I lost it.

I started screaming John’s name. I ran all the way up the stairs to our 3rd floor apartment, still screaming John’s name while bawling hysterically. John raced outside so fast that I don’t even remember seeing him pass me.

When I got back downstairs, there were a lot of people around the dogs and another girl came up to me and led me away. I told her I didn’t want to stand around, because I was so upset and would just be distracting. She tried to calm me down, but I really couldn’t stop – I was really upset. Béni was going to die if they couldn’t get the chain off fast.

About 2-4 minutes into the ordeal, someone was finally able to cut the chain off Béni’s neck, and there’s no doubt in my mind that thanks to John’s quick thinking, he saved Béni’s life. We then took Béni inside, where I cried for probably another hour and both John and I had a hard time going to sleep. We were so worried about Béni. He had a nose bleed, and we called the vet about it, but they thought it probably wasn’t something serious and he either burst a blood vessel from struggling to breathe or the other dog bit him trying to get free.

Béni was able to eat, drink and do all of his commands, so we are hoping he’s ok. He has been lethargic, even today, so we’re still keeping a close eye on him. Both John and I are having a hard time not being at home with him all day, though. We are both still very shaken up. I can’t believe we almost lost Béni last night.

a picture of Béni taken from my iPhone earlier this week

a picture of Béni taken from my iPhone earlier this week



Entry filed under: Our Goings On. Tags: , , , , , , , .

So, dream when the day is through It’s Not Chocolate

10 Comments Add your own

  • 1. unknowntheartist  |  July 23, 2009 at 10:41 AM

    what a scare, i would have freaked out much the same. I’m glad your dog is doing okay 🙂

  • 2. Veronica  |  July 23, 2009 at 11:57 AM

    oh my gosh! you explained that very well; that sounds incredibly scary! That picture is super cute 🙂

  • 3. Vesper  |  July 23, 2009 at 1:44 PM

    wow… Im relieved everything turned out fine, but that would definitely shake me up for a while. See you Saturday.

  • 4. Jimbo  |  July 23, 2009 at 4:51 PM

    Glad the little guy’s okay.

  • 5. purejoy  |  July 23, 2009 at 5:27 PM

    wow. that’s quite a story!! since i had a lab i know how useful the choke collar is, and hope you still do too. what a freak thing to have happen. i’m glad he’s okay. i’m so glad you were nearby and hope your bite isn’t too bad. so much for a good nite sleep, too! hope you’re okay, béni-dog!

  • 6. CN Heidelberg  |  July 23, 2009 at 6:56 PM

    Oh no, poor puppy! I’m so glad he is okay!

  • 7. Cat  |  July 23, 2009 at 11:21 PM

    That’s scary! Nick once swallowed liquid potpourri and I had nearly the same reaction when he started foaming at the mouth, too. I’m so glad Beni is ok and even the cats send happy purrs. 😉

  • 8. John Sr.  |  July 24, 2009 at 2:45 PM

    That is terrible. I am sorry you and John and Beni had to go through that but I am very glad it seems to be okay. Poor Beni, to go through that then have the family jewels shelved! Rough week.

  • 9. Lauren From Texas  |  July 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM

    Hi, I’m a friend of Chelsea’s (Roots & Rings) – just wanted to say that I am SO glad your dog is OK. I have 2 dogs that are my KIDS and if anything ever happened to them, I don’t know what I would do. Your dog is a cutie!

    • 10. osarah  |  July 30, 2009 at 9:14 PM

      Thanks, Lauren! I’m glad John brought your blog to my attention. I haven’t gotten a chance to read yet (sorry!), but I’m adding you to my Reader now so that when I get free time tomorrow, I can check it out 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

If you want to receive our blog posts in your email inbox, just click below and follow the instructions!

Join 8 other followers


Read the Printed Word!

%d bloggers like this: